Friday, May 14

Banana Bread Brioche



My mom gave me two rotten bananas and a small bag of walnuts the other day and said, "make me some banana bread." She should have known I would go different. I know the expectation was a nice cake-like loaf of yummy banana bread, but little did she know I had other plans for those rotten bananas. First of all, I had already packed my loaf pan, so I knew that would be one hindrance. Secondly, I didn't have the right (although simple) ingredients in my fridge to make the normal banana bread. I have really gotten used to making things I currently have on hand since we decided to move and get rid of as much food as possible! :)

Banana Bread Brioche (the no-knead version)
Recipe adapted from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tbs granulated yeast
1 tbs vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
2/3 cup lukewarm water
2 large eggs
1/4 c agave
1/4 cup + 2tbs coconut oil (or mild flavor oil/melted butter)
2 overly ripe bananas all mashed up
Egg wash
1/4 cup roasted and chopped pecans

Directions:
Whisk together the flours, yeast, salt, vital wheat gluten and spices in a bowl.
2. Combine the liquid ingredients with the bananas and mix all that with the dry ingredients without kneading.
3. The dough will be loose, but it will firm up when chilled. Do not try to use it without chilling for at least 2 hours. You may notice lumps in the dough, but they will disappear in your finished product.
4. Cover (not airtight), and allow the dough to rest at room temp. until it rises and collapses, approximately 2 hours.
5. Refrigerate the dough and use within 5 days.
6. When ready to bake, grease a brioche pan or any oven safe container about the size of a medium corning ware dish. (you see mine in the pic!) Dust the surface of the dough with flour and quickly shape into a ball. Place the ball in the prepared pan and allow to rest., loosely covered with plastic wrap for about and hour and 45 minutes. You could also make any design with the dough you would like, for example: braid, twist, spin...get creative! I rolled mine in a log and then curled it around itself in a disc-like shape.
7. Pre-heat your oven about 10 minutes before dough is ready to 350 degrees F.
8. Just before baking, use a pastry brush to paint the loaf's top with egg wash and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
9. Bake near the center of the oven for about 45 to 50 minutes. It is done when the loaf is medium brown and firm.
10. Remove brioche from pan and allow it to cool on rack before digging in!

I delivered and hoped she would be satisfied and pleased!
From my small taste test side, I know I was!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Daughter..It was delicious...I really like when I can comment first hand about the taste of your culinary d-lites...Keep Kookin in the Kitchen...Love you always

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails