Tuesday, June 22

Roasted Red Pepper Tuna Pasta

I have always wished that our budget would allow for fish to be eaten twice a week. If you are unaware, it is recommended (for health reasons obviously!) to eat fish once or twice a week. Fish is just so expensive compared to chicken or pork- what we usually have. But, I must say, it is dang good and I'm salivating just thinking about eating a nice piece of grilled salmon...mmmm. When I get a chance though, I like to incorporate it into our weekly menu, usually in the form of tuna. It seems to be less expensive and the pouch version isn't too bad! Lets just hope that by the time it hits the vacuumed pouch it still has all the necessary benefits as fresh.

I really like this pasta recipe because it "hides" a vegetable that my husband likes the smell and taste of, just doesn't care for the texture. Roasted red peppers get blended up to make a light sauce that gets tossed with the noodles. Capers, for some reason, P really likes so I threw in some of those. Try this dish out for lunch or add a tossed salad for a dinner. Its a nice light summer meal!

Roasted Red Pepper Tuna Pasta

Ingredients:
1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained

1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (2/3 cup)
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, coarsely chopped if large
2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
6 ounces whole-wheat penne or rigatoni (1 3/4 cups) (I used whole-wheat egg noodles)

Directions:
1. Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
2. Combine tuna, and capers in a large bowl.
3. Combine yogurt, basil, oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and the red peppers in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
4. Cook pasta until just tender, 10 to 14 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Add to the tuna mixture along with the red pepper sauce; toss to coat.

2 comments:

  1. This dish looks awesome! I really like tuna casserole and this looks like it takes that casserole up a notch! I'm definitely going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I want to try this, my son loves tuna, I can never go wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails