Tuesday, July 6

Falafel Nuggets

Call me crazy but, I really like vegetarian alternatives for meat. You can never have too(t) many beans! or can you?? hehe Falafel is usually made out of garbanzo beans but I decided to try it out with a can of vegetarian refried pinto beans! I made them into nugget shape as to make it easy for dipping and packing for lunches. I was halfway thinking they would turn out mushy and yucky but I was completely wrong. I am definitely going to be making these again. My husband was completely disgusted by them since he despises beans but hey, I thought they were a nice, healthy, substitution for chicken nuggets! Another plus is that I made a pretty large batch, so half of them went into the freezer! Just popped those babies out when it was lunch time this past weekend and they were just as good.

Falafel Nuggets
recipe adapted from Super Heatlhy Kids

Ingredients:
1 can refried beans
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic
1 egg
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 dash pepper
1 tsp baking powder
1 TBL olive oil
1 1/2 C bread crumbs (I used organic cornbread stuffing that was processed in the food processor till fine crumb texture)

Directions:
1. In a food processor put onion, and garlic. Process till finely chopped. Add the beans.
2. Mix together the rest of the ingredients minus the bread crumbs. Add this to the bean mixture.
3. Slowly add 1 C breadcrumbs until you get a thick consistency that will easily shape. Putting it in the fridge for a bit will help this too.
4. Shape into nuggets and coat each nugget with the remaining 1/2 C breadcrumbs.
5. Bake in oven 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. The nuggets will get a crispy outside and harden a bit more in the middle.
6. Dip in some good organic ketchup and enjoy!! :)


 

3 comments:

  1. I am dying to try to make falafel! Way to go with this! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I'm with P on this one... Yuck to beans!!!!!!!!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Falafels and could seriously live on them for months, maybe even years. This sounds so good like Mexican/Middle Eastern Food Mixed together

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails