Sunday, July 18

Tofu Suey

And to continue my meatless lunch repertoire, I bring to you Tofu Suey. Bok Choy was on sale 3lbs for a dollar this past week and for some reason, even though I've never cooked with it, I couldn't pass up the price! I got home and immediately started searching for a recipe to use with my awesome deal. Little did I know, bok choy is a pretty popular green! There were tons of recipes to choose from but since I had 1/2 of a block of tofu sitting in the fridge needing to be used, I chose to incorporate it with my bok choy dish. The recipe I used is for pork chop suey but tofu was easily substituted and I am super excited about my lunches this week! It smelled delicious, it was easy to make, it was cheap, and it's vegetarian! Who needs take out when you can make it just as good at home?!

Tofu Suey
recipe adapted from Cooking Light

1 lb tofu cubed
1 tbs corn starch
2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
2 cups thinly sliced bok choy
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 C + 2 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Preparation:
1. Mix first Tbs of cornstarch with 2 Tbs soy sauce and marinate tofu cubes for at least 30 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm.
3. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add bok choy and next 3 ingredients (bok choy through garlic); stir-fry 3 minutes. Combine broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, sherry, and ginger; stir well with a whisk. Add tofu and broth mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until thick. You could serve this with rice if you'd like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails