Wednesday, August 25

Carrot Cake Pancakes

Slipping vegetables in conspicuous places has got to be one of my favorite things! Not really, but I do enjoy it and I try to do it every chance I get. I have found that sweet things hide a "vegetable flavor" quite well. It has gotten to where P is leery of every dessert that I present to him and watch like a hawk every bite he eats. It must be my excitement oozing out or something? His first question is, "what vegetable or weird thing did you hide in it?" For some reason, I think that I can get away with being sly and not obvious but I guess he knows me oh too well. This recipe for carrot cake pancakes was an exception on my attempt at hiding. It was way too obvious with orange speckles hiding out in every bite but I thought the carrot flavor was subtle and needed (duh!) for the "carrot cakeness" to be replicated. Carrot cake has really never been a favorite of mine because most have coconut flakes which I hate. Not these, I made them to suit the taste bud of our family and they undoubtedly did. Topped with almond slivers and agave nectar, I'm wishing I had some right now. The ONLY bad thing about these carrot pancakes is, they promote my orange flesh tendencies, which has and can be a real problem!!

Carrot Cake Pancakes

Ingredients;
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose)
1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts or almonds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
pinch of ground ginger
1/4 cup agave
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs - lightly beaten
1 cup grated carrot
1 tablespoon orange zest

Directions;
1. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in a large bowl with a whisk.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk agave, coconut milk, oil, vanilla and eggs together.
3. Add agave mixture to the flour mixture and gently combine with a large spatula. Do not over mix.
4. Fold in the carrots, orange zest and nuts.
5. Heat a cast iron skillet/griddle/other large skillet over medium heat. Coat the bottom with coconut oil. Spoon (1/4 cup) batter into the skillet and gently spread the batter out a little bit.* Cook for a couple minutes or until you see the top covered with bubbles. Flip over and cook another minute or two. 

*They turned out pretty thick compared to normal pancake batter but cooked through very well if you give it a little spread with your spatula.

Serve with agave nectar drizzled and roasted almond slices sprinkled! :)

Poor Kaepo has been really bored latley. Even when we are home, P's now studying and I'm usually cooking.

1 comment:

  1. My son would love these, carrot cake is a fav. of his.

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails