Tuesday, August 3

Whole Wheat Raisin English Muffins

Wow, today is a momentous occasion for me! Not only did I complete my first day of work at DTS, I am now writing my 100th post! woohoo! 100 post down and lets hope, so many more to go.
My first day at the new job was great, I really think that this is going to be a good job! :) Thank You God!
I am also excited about a meeting that I have scheduled tonight, it is for an opportunity to cook for an elderly woman! Not only that but, she wants all natural, organic meals! So, for those who are willing, please pray for this opportunity, P and I are really hoping it will work out.

This past weekend was delightful. My days were spent relaxing, visiting with P's parents, getting a washer and dryer! getting new potted herbs (more on those later), and cooking. I really think it was the first weekend in a while that I wasn't anxious about the weekend being over! I hope it continues that way. As I mentioned in my last post, my goal of not using the oven, I was able to make English muffins on a griddle. English muffins have been on my "to cook" list for a while. When I found this recipe that called for them to be cooked on the stove top, it was obviously time to try them out. This version is a cinnamon raisin kind, next time I think I'll try more of a savory kind. P and I both really enjoyed them though and the recipe made enough for us to enjoy them all week!

Cinnamon Raisin English Muffins
recipe thanks to theKitchen

1 packet active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (about 110° F)
1/2 cup warm milk (about 110° F)
1/4 cup canola or other mild oil
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup raisins
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal or semolina


Directions:
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add the milk, oil, and egg. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, sugar, raisins, sugar and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, 1/2 cup at a time to form a soft, sticky dough.
2. Dump dough onto a well-floured board and knead for 5 minutes until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
3. Roll out on a cornmeal-dusted board until about 1/2" thick. Cut with a 3-4" cookie cutter or juice glass. Cover with a dishtowel and put in a warm place to rise another 15 minutes or so. Sides will expand and look cracked.
4. Heat a griddle (a cast-iron skillet would work well) over medium-low heat. Cook muffins on the hot griddle, about 7 minutes on each side.
5. Serve warm straight off the griddle, or slice in half and toast. Butter and honey would be divine.

2 comments:

  1. those english muffins are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found this for you! Doesn't seem that hard and now we can make them for ourselves without having to wait for our visits to England! and lots of ways to add ingredients for adaptation.

    http://www.greatpartyrecipes.com/crumpetrecipe.html

    Crumpets Recipe

    1/2 cup warm water (105° - 115°)
    2 teaspoons sugar or honey
    1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 1/2 cups milk
    In a large bowl, stir the sugar or honey into the warm water. Sprinkle the active dry yeast over the top and let it sit until it bubbles, about 5 minutes.

    Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and let it sit for about half an hour in a warm place.

    Grease a griddle or frying pan and the crumpet rings or cookie cutters. Place the rings on the cooking surface and preheat all.

    Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into each 3" ring and cook over medium low heat until set, about 10 minutes. (Avoid cooking them too quickly.) The top should be full of holes when they are ready to turn.

    Remove the rings from the crumpets, turn, and brown the other side, if desired, for a minute or so. Repeat until all the batter is used.

    Serve warm with butter and jam or clotted cream and jam. Makes 16 crumpets.

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails