Monday, March 2

Little Debbie...or Mysti?


I had a request this past week for one of my husbands favorites....oatmeal creme pies! The requirements though were that they taste and have the texture of oatmeal creme pies that "little debbie" makes. Seeing that my husband doesn't care too much for actual oatmeal cookies (the texture of the oats gets to him), he brought to my attention something I never realized growing up feasting on these "jewels"! (YES! i had my fare share of oatmeal creme pies!) they DON'T actually taste or have texture of oatmeal in them! weird...I wouldn't doubt if "miss Debbie" didn't actually put oats in them...foiled again!


To my surprise I found a number of oatmeal creme pie recipes...some looked nothing like the original, some did but had BAD reviews, and then I believe I found the winner..it was posted on Recipe Zaar, not a website I go to very often but I felt like it sounded right and worth the try! I did however switch a few things in the recipe giving it a more "natural" edge...something I strive for! :)


"Little Mysti Oatmeal Creme Pies"

Ingredients
1 cup room temp. butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups ap flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick oats (processed in a blender or food processor till fine texture- this is the trick to non-oaty texture!)
Cream Filling
2 teaspoons very hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
1/4 cup shortening (I used trans fat free kind)

1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup powder sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions-
In large bowl, cream butter, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and eggs. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add to the creamed mixture; mix in the oats. Drop dough by TBS on ungreased sheets about 3 inches apart. (The cookies spread A LOT! you will think its a small amount but I promise they turn out regular size) Bake at 350 degrees F. Bake for 10-12 minutes,or until just starting to brown around the edges. They will look moist; don't overcook. While the cookies bake prepare the filling. In small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water. Allow this to cool. Combine marshmallow cream, shortening, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in med bowl; mix on high until fluffy. Add the cooled salt water and mix well. Spread filling on flat side of one cookie, press 2nd cookie on top.

* NOTE: These cookies are far from healthy, good for you, or "low-fat"!!! I did my best to make them more "natural", and less processed than the original. I'd say these are good for your special someone on a special occasion (or in my husbands case- every night until they are gone!)

P-rating- I have gotten a different response every night...first night: "these are REALLY GOOD!" next night: "delicious!" next day: "I'm craving an oatmeal creme pie" (my response-"they are your dessert tonight sweetie!") that night: "perfection!"

As you can see I decided to post the recipe this time, and will from now on as long as I am able and have it written down that is! I hope to be more of a blog that enables others to be creative as appose to praising myself...I was convicted of this last week while reading a chapter in the book I'm currently reading on "servant-hood" and being selfless. So, I hope you enjoy...any questions don't hesitate to ask and I hope you all have a good week!!


2 comments:

  1. Oh Mysti Sue, these look so good. I am not a chef by any means and this recipe totally scares me. But I may just have to give it a try. :-)

    And on your other post, that dress you made for Ella is so cute! I am just learning to sew and have been taking classes at Sew Crafty Houston. I made a skirt the other night and I was really proud of myself! HAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has asked me for forever to find an oatmeal creme pie recipe! Going to be making this one.

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails