Tuesday, April 20
"E-Claires" and Cream Puffs!
Eclairs or Cream Puffs (really depends on how much and which direction your pastry bag takes you)
For the Choux (Puff):
1/2 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1 cup pre-sifted all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 unbeaten eggs
For the filling:
1 cup whipping cream
1-2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp vanilla
For the topping:
1 cup chopped chocolate
1 tbsp corn syrup
1/3 cup whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Combine butter and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Add flour and salt all at once and stir with spoon vigorously (vigorously!) until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. At that point, remove from heat and cool slightly.
3. Add eggs one at a time and stir until smooth after adding each egg.
4. Pipe mixture onto a greased baking sheet, or parchment paper, each one spaced at least 2″ apart . Bake 30-40 mins or until light and dry. Allow to cool completely.
5. Cut the cream puffs in half horizontally, and remove any excess soft dough left in the middle. It should be hollow so that the filling can be added. It is best to stuff and top the cream puffs right before serving.
6. For the filling, beat together whipping cream, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla on high until stiff peaks. Fill the cream puffs and close like a sandwich. Other variations would be to stuff with other flavours like chocolate.
7. For the chocolate ganache, melt together chocolate, corn syrup and whipping cream over medium-low heat. Top over stuffed cream puffs.
Makes 20ish large cream puffs, but may need to double or triple the filling to fill them all at once.
I'd like to dedicate this post to Claire Swanson...I hope one day she makes "E-Claires" for her momma!