Saturday, April 17
1/4lb refrigerated pre-mixed dough*
1 tbs or so of neutral flavored oil ( i used light olive oil)
1.Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and quickly shape into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides., rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go. Using your hands and rolling pin, and minimal flour, roll out to a uniform thickness of 1/8 inch throughout and to a diameter of 8 to 9 inches.
2. Heat a heavy skillet on stove top. When water droplets flicked on to the pan skitter across the surface and evaporate quickly the pan is ready. Spray or pour oil (just a tad bit).
3. drop the rolled dough round into the skillet, decrease teh heat to medium and cover teh skillet to trap the steam and heat.
4. Check for doneness with spatula at about 3 minutes or sooner if you smell burning! Adjust the heat as needed. Flip the naan when the underside is richly browned. (Mine puffed up quite well which made for an sudden excitement squeal! for which my husband exclaimed "WHAT?!?")
5. Continue cooking another 2 to 6 minutes or until the naan feels firm, even at edges, and second side is browned.
6. Remove naan from pan, and keep warm in a clean towel.
The 1/4lb only made 1 naan, so if you want more than one I would pull off about a lb. for 4-5! depending on how big you make them of course.
*Refrigerated Dough Starter
3 cups luke warm water
1 1/2 tbs yeast
1 1/2 tbs salt
6 1/2 c wheat flour
All this is mixed, and left to rest on counter in bowl for 2 hrs and then used immediately or left in fridge to get all gooey and yummy. :) I made this batch amount for my naan and soon to be pizza!! yummy!
This recipe will be our naan go to recipe...in fact we may just use this to wrap fajitas, make quesadillas, or just eat by itself!! Patrick asked me after trying these if I ever make the same recipe twice...I don't very often unless its a REAL good recipe...I like to try new and different things too much. He requested that we keep this one in our "regulars"!
Kaepo on the other hand was quite simply, board with the whole thing...I guess he was hoping they would be Frisbee for him to fetch!