Friday, May 28

Healthy Berry Cobbler with Unhealthy Brown Sugar Semifreddo


I guess you could say we compromised this week. In honor of Memorial Day I am kicking off the weekend with a simple "all-American" berry cobbler. For some reason, I had the urge to break from my normal peanut butter on carmel rice cake for dessert and make something both P and I could have together. Of course, I needed something at least somewhat healthy and I knew he would make a big deal out of the whole thing if it were JUST something healthy! We compromised. Or I did for both of us since he never knew the whole ordeal going through my head! :)
I had a box of blackberries that were purchased only because of the awesome price and I was feeling a little selfish when deciding what I would use them for. Some went on top of my oatmeal, some with our breakfast as a fun garnish, but I really wanted to incorporate them as a dessert. Therefore I made my "healthy dessert," individual blueberry and blackberry cobblers!! I promise, they were delicious. P didn't suspect a thing and I was able to eat dessert with him! Of course, his was topped with semifreddo. We have learned in our 4 years of marriage that compromising is a good thing, even with food!

Healthy Individual Berry Cobblers
recipe adapted (kinda sorta) from 101 Cookbooks
2 1/2 cups mix of blueberries and blackberries
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup agave nectar*
3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup fine-grain natural cane sugar (or brown sugar)*
1/4+ teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup soy milk
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled a bit
Preheat oven to 425F degrees, racks in the top third. Spread Coconut oil in individual ramekins, I used about 8.
In a small bowl gently toss the berries with the cornstarch and agave. Set aside.
To make the cobbler topping, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, and sugar, salt, in a large bowl. In another separate, smaller bowl whisk together the egg and the soy milk, whisk in the oil. Fold the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until it's barely combined.
Separate the fruit into each ramekin evenly. Now top the berries with the dough by crumbling pieces (i used my fingers)- not too big of crumbles, they won't cook throughout. Push the dough around and out to the edges with your fingers if you need to.
Bake for 15 -20 minutes or until the top is golden and cooked through.

*I experimented with dates here and used 1/4 c of processed dates with agave - will have to touch on that experiment at a later post!

As far as the "Unhealthy Brown Sugar Semifreddo", who needs this recipe?! Your suppose to be eating healthy right?!?! :)

To not leave out our other family member- I would love to mention Kaepo's curiosity with birds. I think he wishes he could fly.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yum!! This looks like a perfect summertime dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness berrie are back in season. I had my first blackberries of the year a few weeks ago and I've been craving more!

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails