Tuesday, June 1

Chocolate Chip Whole Grain Biscotti



I LOVE biscotti .(period) I have never had store bought, or even restaurant served biscotti bu,t the homemade version is amazing. I might be a little disappointed in the other so I'll just stick with my own. There are so many ways to change up a biscotti recipe and the fact that whole grains make the texture even better, just wins me over AGAIN! I experimented quite a bit with this one. It came easy knowing that this one would primarily be for me so screwing up wasn't a worry. The only worry that came from the whole thing was a few days later, there was only one left, I sat and stared at it thinking, oh how i'll miss my breakfast, morning snack, late afternoon snack, after dinner snack, biscotti. I'm not lying, these puppies could have been my every meal...spread some almond butter on top, dipped in a cup of coffee...I'm making myself drool as I type. Enough description, here is the recipe!!

Happy to say this one is by me! :)

Chocolate Chip Whole Grain Biscotti

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup oats
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 c flax seed mixed with 3 tbs water to make a paste
1/4 cup agave
1/4 cup organic unrefined sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 large organic eggs
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 good quality semisweet chocolate chips (I have organic ones)

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 325.
2. Combine (most) of your dry ingredients into a medium bowl and set aside: whole wheat pastry flour, whole wheat flour, oats, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
3. Either by hand or using a mixer cream the coconut oil, agave, flax seed mixture and sugar together until creamy, and slightly lighter in color than when you started - roughly a minute or so.
4. Add the eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined. You will need to scrape down the sides of your bowl a couple of times if you are using an electric mixer - you want an even distribution of the eggs.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Now it is time to shape and bake your biscotti. The dough should be pretty stiff, and easy to work with but you may want to powder your hands and counter with a bit of flour if you are worried about sticking. Flatten the mound of dough into 2 flat log shapes roughly 4-inches wide by 6 inches long. It doesn't have to be perfect.
6. Pace the dough on an ungreased baking sheet and place in the oven for 25 minutes, you want the dough to get firm and start to brown a bit. This is just the first of two rounds in the oven.
7. Remove the biscotti from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 300F. Allow the now-baked dough to cool for about 10 minutes - you need it to firm up a bit so it doesn't just crumble when you go to cut it.
8. Cut the loaf into individual biscotti roughly 3/4-inch thick (I cut diagonally across the loaf so that I have a nice range of sizes/lengths on hand).
9. Arrange the slices cut side up on the baking sheet and return to the oven for a second time around. You want to bake the biscotti until they are dry and firm, roughly 30 minutes. Don't under bake or you won't get the satisfaction of a nice crunch. It is tricky because, they might be slightly soft coming out of the oven, but will firm right up as they cool off on the counter. I look for golden brown color on the bottoms before I pull them.

Makes about 24 small biscotti.

3 comments:

  1. I have never made biscotti, but yours looks so good! These look like the perfect thing to eat while drinking a cup of coffee in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had this right now to have with my cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest - these are delicious!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails