Wednesday, June 30
With grapefruits STILL in abundance at our house, I decided to make a dessert out of them. They were ssimilar to the lemon bars that are commonly made this way, I switched out the lemon peel for grapefruit peel and for the lemon juice, grapefruit juice! I really was hoping they would turn out pink for P but, unfortunately all the pink grapefruit colored stuff I see is probably died that way because these definitely didn't have even the slightest shade of pink. Oh well. My favorite part was the powdered sugar sprinkling on top. For some reason powdered sugar makes everything beautiful to me. I better add that to my bucket list- sprinkle self with powdered sugar to be beautiful! :)
I haven't ever made lemon bars but P says he likes these better.
for the crust:
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoon grated grapefruit zest (about 2 large grapefruits)
2/3 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
2/3 cup flour
Confectioners sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking sheet.
2. For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into the greased baking sheet, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Chill.
3. Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
4. For the grapefruit layer, whisk together the eggs, sugar, grapefruit zest, lemon zest, grapefruit juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 minutes, or about five minutes beyond the point where the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
5. Cut into triangles or squares and dust with confectioners sugar.
Kaepo, P, and I had a fun day at the park this past weekend: