Tuesday, August 17

Asian Peanut Pasta Slaw


    Accomplishment of the week: I got my husband to eat cabbage! Some may think I'm wierd because a number of my so called "accomplishments" have to do with food, most of the time with vegetables and my husband, but I am willing to settle for small feats such as these, they truly make me a happy girl! So, why not?
    Another cold salad to add to our dinner list. I can't express to you how much I love coming home and not having to put something in the microwave, on the stove, and especially in the oven. My short trip from work (10 minutes max) is just enough to make my internal temperature reach oh about boiling!!! These cold meals are very appreciated!
    One thing I loved about this salad was the tangy Asian dressing, okay there was more that I liked: it has cilantro!, peanuts!, and cabbage! So many favorites of mine piled into one salad. P liked it a lot because it was very similar to a favorite Asian pasta dish that I make on occasion. So, stop reading and give it a go!

Asian Peanut Pasta Slaw

Ingredients:
1 medium head napa cabbage*
1 1/2 cups roasted, unsalted peanuts
1 bunch green onions
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup chopped cilantro (about two big handfuls unchopped)
Salt and pepper
8 oz cooked, cold whole wheat pasta (I used linguine)
shredded chicken (optional)

Dressing:
1/2 cup light oil, like canola
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tsp chili sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce (or more, to taste)

Directions:
1. Shred the cabbage very finely. The fineness of the shredded cabbage is really what makes this salad; you want it in in threads, almost, and with the threads chopped into bite-size lengths.
2. Toss with the peanuts in a large bowl. Chop the scallions, including the green and white parts. Toss the scallions, chopped cilantro, carrots, pasta and chicken (if using) with the cabbage, seasoning very lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk the dressing ingredients until emulsified, then taste and adjust to your own preferences of sweetness and saltiness.
4. Toss with the cabbage. Garnish with a few more peanuts and serve.

*I tossed this the morning before we had it for dinner and it softened up the cabbage leaves a bit, which we liked!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails