Monday, December 6

Ginger Snaps


What a novel idea...a recipe for ginger snaps that actually SNAP! For a while now I have perused through tons of ginger "snap" recipes that proudly claim to be soft cookies. What is this world coming to?? Soft ginger snaps? Well, I am pleased to say that I have finally found a recipe that provides the snap in ginger snaps. This has been the first Christmas treat I have made this year that has been hard for me to stop eating. I really really liked them. Seeing as most people prefer the soft cookie (my husband included) I figured that bringing them to a potluck would be a sneaky way for me to make a batch and end up with most of them at the end of the night! :) Well, sadly I was mistaken. None came home, but without a doubt I will be making these again! If your looking for genuine ginger snaps, here is your recipe!
Ginger Snaps
Ingredients:
1/4 C unsalted butter at room temp.
3/4 C + 2 tbs granulated sugar plus some for coating!
1 large egg beaten
1/4 C molasses
1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
2 C + 2 tbs all purpose flour
1/2 tbs baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375, cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed. Lower to medium and add eggs, molasses, vinegar and vanilla.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and pepper.
3. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Beat until incorporated.
4. Place dough on a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a log that is about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap and chill for about an hour.
5. Slice each log into disks, 1/2 inch thick and dredge in a bowl of sugar to coat.
6. Place on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet 2 inches apart and bake until crinkly around edges, about 14 minutes. Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes before transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Or if you are in my freezing apartment they will be ready to store after 5 minutes out of the oven!! :)
Christmas giving rating-
1. wowza taste- man oh man, I have already said it...but these are GOOD! I would give it a 9.5 (just cause nothing is perfect!) but P rated them an 8.
2. packability- GREAT! they definitely stack well and stay in good shape through the boxing process. 9.5
3. cuteness?- well, they look like gingersnaps...I guess there have been cuter treats so I will give this a 7.
4. expense- I am going to go with an 8 on this and that's because I am picky about my ingredients. These cookies were almost completely organic from what I had in my pantry which was awesome! I'm convinced however that if you are making them from non organic ingredients...they are pretty dang inexpensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails