Saturday, June 11

Chocolate Pie, nuff said.

Peek-a-boo!
And I quote, "This is the best pie I have ever had." - P
YUP! and that was the pie I made! There have been a package of Newman's Own "oreo's" in our pantry for a while. They were once hidden as to keep a sneaky fellow out, however during the move they somehow got reveled. It didn't take him long before the package was open and I was after him! Those cookies were suppose to be for a special dessert because it isn't just any day I'll splurge on organic oreos! I hadn't come up with my plan for them until forces from the spousal unit made me. With an open package, I had to act quick if I was going to get a chance to make anything before those sneaky hands got to them while I was at work. There's nothing I can do while I'm at work...
Thankfully I came up with something quick and the results were as P said "sooooo worth it!"

Ever since P's grandma showed up to Thanksgiving dinner with a chocolate pie last year, he has been commenting on how I need to make a pie like that. Chocolate pie always just seems booooring to me so after accidentally loosing the recipe Grawm gave me for her chocolate pie, I had given up on that endeavor. Until I decided to find and tweak one to call my own! I had never made a meringue topping before so I decided to go with that, and with the "oreo's" I made a crust.

Chocolate Pie (the way my husband likes it!)
recipe adapted from CookingLight

Ingredients:
1 (9- ounce) package Newman's Own Creme Filled Chocolate Cookies
4 tablespoons butter
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Put cookies in food processor and make a fine crumb texture. Pour 4 Tbs. butter over crumbs and mix more. Line a 9 inch pie pan with crust mixture.
2. Bake piecrust at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves. Set aside.
4. Whisk remaining 1 cup sugar and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together egg yolks and milk in a separate bowl.
5. Melt butter in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar mixture to melted butter, whisking until blended. Gradually whisk in milk mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
6. Remove from heat. Add chocolate morsels and vanilla, stirring until chocolate is melted. Stir in pecans. Cover and keep warm.
7. Pour hot filling into piecrust. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of pastry.
Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in refrigerator.

While P was taking pictures of the pie, he said "He's just so photogenic!" I think someone fell in love!

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! I cannot wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails