I have been trying to provide P with a weekly breakfast the past few weeks, that way he doesn't rely only on the quick, sweet, cereal option. I know my husband, and when it comes to preparing things in the kitchen, if I am not there his mentality is quick, easy, and simple. So during the weekend I prepare a weeks worth of good breakfasts for him including- this yummy bread, kolaches, muffins, and breakfast bars. With the sourdough needing to be revived I decided to add this to the breakfast recipe, which not only used up some of the sourdough but also added good nutrition!
Sourdough Banana Bread
recipe adapted from Sourdough Companion
1/3 cup grape seed oil (or other mild flavored oil)
3/4 cup sugar
2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 bananas, mashed and over-ripe
1 cup sourdough starter (100% hydration)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9X5 loaf pan.
2. In large mixing bowl, whisk oil and sugar until blended, then add egg and beat in. Stir in bananas, add sourdough starter, then mix in vanilla, lemon zest, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, and soda, and mix in wet ingredients.
4. Poor into greased loaf pan and transfer to oven.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until skewer tests clean. Let cool for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from baking tin and cool 2 hours on cake rack before slicing. Stays moist and fresh for several days if wrapped airtight.
I honestly couldn't stop eating this bread...toasted with a bit of butter (dairy free for me, of course!) was absolutely delish!