Sunday, April 25

Szechuan Ground Pork and Broccoli

After the decision was made that we would move three and a half hours a way, I have made it a challenge to STOP grocery shopping and make recipes only out of things we already have....it actually hasn't been too hard, we have saved a bit of money (I have only spent $60 this month when our normal budget is $160!) and another plus is, we will have less to move! I'll just have to start back on my stocking up once we get settled into our new place! Since I'm a couponer (like a real one!), it has been incredibly hard to pass up good deals and even harder to keep myself from going to the grocery store on my lunch break! I know its strange; I just love browsing food!

I made this dish the other night and was so pleased because I had everything to make it already. And really, the ingredients are common things that a typical cook would have stocked anyways!
This is one of those dishes that has been deemed a "go-to recipe" in our house when we are craving Asian. I make a mixture of ground chicken or turkey with ground pork loin and a bit of corn starch - it really makes a good moist texture. I also love how you can almost throw in any veggie you have on-hand to change it up! I sometimes make it with string beans, which i like better than broccoli. Make a pot of brown rice if you're into needing starch and viola! Take-out in no time!

Szechuan Ground Pork with Broccoli

1/2 pound lean ground pork loin
1/2 pound ground chicken or turkey
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 1/2 cups broccoli (steamed a bit or frozen)
2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons agave
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce

Directions:
1. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add pork mixture, and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until pork loses its pink color, stirring to crumble.
3. Trow in broccoli or other pre-steamed veggie
4. Combine hoisin and next 3 ingredients (through soy sauce) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add hoisin mixture to pan.
5. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
6. Serve over rice if desired.

Make sure you have some left over fortune cookies from Pei Wei for after otherwise it doesn't really feel like take out! :)

Recipe adapted from Cooking Light.

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I'm always looking for a new way to use ground pork! We are going to have to try this at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should teach a food shopping class! Scott and I spend 100 a week and it is hard to stick to that! That is counting diapers and baby food but still
    love me :)

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails