Wednesday, July 28

Black Bean Salad

No matter when, where, how, or with whom- I am always up for Mexican food. This statement is actually very ironic because there for a while Mexican food absolutely disgusted me, in fact the evening before I got married, my parents and the people staying with us from out of town made me eat at a greasy Mexican food restaurant and I was complaining about it the whole time. Who makes there child eat Mexican food the night before her wedding? I think the hate was because of the gobs and gobs of cheese the Tex-Mex restaurants put on their food. I didn't start my love affair with Mexican until I started cooking it myself with a vegan cheese that I could actually stomach. Then I discovered fajitas when going out to eat and I have been infatuated since! There are so many flavors, ingredients, and cooking methods that go with Mexican food that are irresistible to me, its so bad that I have to limit myself and remember that I need variety. This weeks lunches I indulged and made an absolutely scrumptious black bean salad. I was super pleased!!

Black Bean Salad

Ingredients:
2 cobs of sweet white corn (does not have to be cooked) "de-cobbed"
1 avocado cubed
1 can black beans or 2 cups fresh (i made a big pot this past weekend!)
2-3 tomatoes cubed
1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
1 tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves minced

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl mix together (gently) black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, and corn.
2. In a small bowl mix together cumin, chili powder, salt, olive oil, and garlic.
3. Toss all together and top with avocado slices. If you are using this at a later time make sure you sprinkle the avocado with lemon or they will turn brown!

I divided this up in 4 small containers for my lunches for the week!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo I love black beans, my son does too. I will give this one a try as well.

    ReplyDelete

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails